April 4, 2012

Little Girl's Striped Civil War Dress



This fabric started out as a farby-styled reenactor dress that my grandma found and gave to me. It's actually a really nice, heavier woven cotton, very warm, and since there wasn't enough fabric to restyle it for myself, I thought it would make a lovely winter dress for a little girl.


I decided to play around with the stripes as much as possible. The skirt and bodice are pleated to highlight the blue stripes, and the sleeves are long coat sleeves cut to highlight the bias detail at the wrists. Undersleeves can be added accurately for extra growth if the sleeves become too short.


I sewed a little band of blue stripe and a button at each wrist. The waistband is cut on the bias and there are three growth tucks on the skirt. Dress buttons up the back. The neckline, waistband and sleeve seams are all piped. Very basic, warm day dress, suitable for cooler weather and a wide variety of activities.


No comments:

Post a Comment