February 15, 2012

Pink Tulip Print Dress

My first Civil War dress for a little girl! Made from a thrifted cotton print which is very similar to this extant dress.


I based the style on a very typical little girl's dress: wide open neckline, short gathered sleeves, gathered bodice, back buttons, and full (90") skirt. Unfortunately there was a limited amount of fabric so there isn't a lot of room for growth in this dress.

The piping on top of the waistband is really wonky; you are looking at the first seam I ever piped!
I used self-bias binding to gather the neckline and piped the waistband and sleeve hems. It works well as a spring or summer everyday dress.

Back buttons, made of china. The fabric was already faded when I bought it. I thought it added a nice well-worn touch. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment